If you’re a creative, I’m willing to bet that the word legal or lawyer puts your back up because it feels constricting. The reality is that, creatives absolutely need a legal strategy in place and this episode has Chicago-based lawyer to creatives, Patrice Perkins breaking it all down. Show notes with key points, takeaways and links for this episode available at www.maggiepatterson.com/episode78.
Items Discussed in this Episode:
- When you’re a creative, legal stuff can seem boring. Patrice explains how to look at in a different way to get excited about it.
- Patrice cautions against ‘following the herd’ with legal for your business and what you definitely shouldn’t DIY.
- We chat about some of the best options for creating a plan to protect your IP.
- Patrice explains what a trade secret is and why it’s important in your business.
- The ‘quick and easy’ way to tell the difference between a copyright and a trademark.
- One of the things that keeps entrepreneurs up at night is someone taking our course or offering, sticking their name on it, and calling it their own. Patrice explains how easy and inexpensive it can be to protect our content.
- What to include in your terms of service to protect yourself and your process.
- There are people out there trying to rip us off, but the majority of cases are people who just aren’t thinking or simply don’t know any better. You need to protect against both and Patrice explains how.
- Patrice breaks down exactly what a copyright is and what it means for your business.
- The one thing Patrice wishes everyone knew when it came to the law and their business.
- Why preparing for the worst case scenario can be beneficial to your business (and doesn’t mean you’re being over the top).
Top 3 Takeaways for this Episode:
- You can’t afford not to protect your IP. And by doing that you’re actually giving yourself more time to expand and do more of what you love.
- Hello, trade secrets. This could be just the solution you’re looking for.
- Consider starting to submit your copyrighted works as you create them so that you’re fully protected from copycats and would-be rip off artists.
Links for this Episode:
Creative Genius Society (Patrice’s Blog)
Creative Genius Law (Patrice’s Website)
Link to Free Marketing Moxie Facebook Group