About pages are one of the most important pages on our websites, but too often they entirely miss the point. This episode breaks down about page must-haves, how to hook your visitors and invite them into your business and outlines everything you need to avoid. Show notes with key points, takeaways, and links for this episode available at www.maggiepatterson.com/episode58.
Items Discussed in this Episode:
- We all have an about page, and it is a really critical page! Besides the home page, it’s probably the most popular one on your site, so you don’t want to botch it.
- Leading by talking about you on your about page is doing a major disservice to your readers, and may turn them off.
- It’s not all about you, it’s all about ‘them’, meaning your audience and their needs.
- The number one thing to have in your about page to ensure you connect with your reader.
- Take some time to think about the kind of people you want to be attracting (and who you don’t want to work with).
- Bragging is actually necessary on your about page, so you’re going to need to find a way to make it work for you, even if it feels icky.
- How to nail your Call to Action for your about page to invite them to explore further.
- About page cardinal sins that you need to be aware of.
Top 3 Takeaways for this Episode:
- Make sure your about page has a strong hook and doesn’t read like a boring resume of your work or your life story.
- Brag on your about page without crossing the line.
- Welcome isn’t a good opening line. Boring. You can do better.
[Tweet "Time for an about page refresh! Get these tips from @magspatterson #marketingmoxie"]
Links for this Episode:
Blog Post on the Hero’s Journey
Link to Free Marketing Moxie Facebook Group