Is getting out there and being featured in the media on your wish list? (And if it’s not, it should be!) Media strategist Gwen Elliot shares how-to get started and some results that have happened thanks to media coverage! Show notes with key points, takeaways, and links for this episode available at www.maggiepatterson.com/episode121.
Items Discussed in this Episode:
- Gwen explains why we should take time out of our schedule to secure media interviews for ourselves, do guest posts, etc.
- Doing an interview will bring clients to your door, but it more importantly will bring clients to your door that already know you are credible. You have ‘the buzz’
- Gwen recommends getting on air now and as often as you can so when that big opportunity comes knocking, you’re prepared for it and already have the technical aspects worked out
- Gwen shares how to get started adding media into your social to do list
- When reaching out to pitch a media interview or guest post, Gwen shares the three things you need to know first
- Gwen shares her ‘Commandments’ for pitching
- When it comes to pitching trust your instinct! If you think you should send it today, just do it
- When you pitch to a big outlet, you are usually pitching to someone who has to run it by their boss. If it’s hard for them to understand, they’re not going to even bother passing it on
- Gwen shares her number one tip for pitching media
- Following up makes us all antsy, Gwen gives us her advice on how to do it
- Sometimes that answer is not ‘no’, it’s ‘not right now’. Don’t be too persistent in your follow up, give it some time
- Gwen shares the results she’s helped her clients get with pitching media and how it’s impacted their business
- Gwen gives her advice on how to move through your blocks of ‘there’s no way I can do this’
Top 3 Takeaways from this Episode:
- If you’re waiting for the media to come to you, stop that! You need to put yourself out there. Figure out what makes the most sense for you.
- Take the time to research every possible site or media outlet in depth before you decide to pitch. A well-researched pitch will always stand out.
- Make your pitch irresistible by giving them everything you need to say yes.
Links for this Episode:
Your Big Break Podcast
Link to Free Marketing Moxie Facebook Group